Getting back into painting has been a bit odd. I can't seem to get into the swing of it; always keeping an eye out for the doorbell at the front of the shop. It also doesn't help that the paint on the faces of the bottle dancers is quite thick and resistant to my new moves. I'm trying to capture the tortured, sad faces of the dancers forever locked into their immovable dance feast. I think I have a) the wrong colour for their bodies (getting aged cement is tricky) and b) there are just too many large surfaces of un-interest which is boring me a bit. I think I'm coming to the realisation that I'm not that keen on doing simplistic images. I seem to enjoy more challenging, complex ones with proper people and possibly some fabric :)
Anyway, I have decided to add some further details to the image including more background bits from the original photograph - this to add some interest.
I've started experimenting with a new medium called 'water mixable oil painting medium' and I'm finding it quite interesting. It smooths the paint and gives it an oilier consistency, making it quite velvety. Will keep using it for a bit and see how it behaves.