It's been a very productive day for me as work on the dancers painting stepped up a notch. I realised today that it takes me about an hour to get into happy painting mode, even if I just sit and look at the painting for most of that. Today's session started off with some work on the highlights around the top half of the figures, with white and cadmium yellow. I also restated some dark areas with cobalt blue and made some marks on the faces to establish expression. The first dancer seems a bit constipated at the moment...not quite what I am going for!
The main thrust of this session however was to work on the bottle skirts. To do this I first created the shadows with the cobalt blue, then mixing burnt sienna with varying degrees of cadmium yellow and white I applied wet-on-wet paint carefully to define the bottles (using my reference material as a guide). It's quite rough work and each brush stroke is loosely painted (the focus here is to keep things free and loose), then a new colour is overlapped or painted adjacent. I absolutely love to paint this way, mixing colours straight on the canvas with thick, juicy, undiluted paint. Once all the main details were added I took white straight from the tube and added the lightest highlights plus the cement between the bottles (still working wet-on-wet). Et voila! Completed skirts! The last dancer will have green bottles so these will be done in another session.